Thursday, May 6, 2010

Every Parent's Nightmare

I am living every parent's worst nightmare, having a sickly child. For over 3 and a half years, we have been proud of how strong Cairo's immune system was because he never really got sick except for the pneumonia that he got when we came home from our US trip when he was almost 3. We didn't have to worry about him catching a cold if we brought him with us out of town because he hardly got sick.


Things changed last september when he got a flu then he also got pneumonia while he was still down with the flu. It was his first time to be admitted to the hospital and he was there for about a week. We thought that the worst was over. Little did we know that his being healthy would be short lived. 


2010 has been a struggle for us. He has been constantly sick. On and off colds, fever, uti and pneumonia twice! His doctor told us that his immune system is really just so low inspite of the steroids that he's been given so we're trying something new again in the hopes that it would work better. I have stopped sending him to swimming classes, school and any other activity for the summer because he tends to get sick more often. 


I'm frustrated and I feel bad for my son. Why is this happening to him? How could he have gotten so sickly in such a short span of time?! What will this mean for him? So many questions in my head and yet no answer can be given? How can my little boy enjoy and play? 


Seeing your child sick is probably one of the hardest things a parent can go thru. Having a newborn is also not helping my situation because Cairo's contagious and I'm having a hard time being with them both because I have to keep them apart and I have to make sure that when I go to Phoenix, I wouldn't infect him with viruses.


I just want my boys to be healthy. Please, I want this nightmare to end.

3 comments:

  1. I was told that kids are more prone to illnesses once they start going to school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know how hard this is especially for one who wants so bad to be able to be there for both. I end up getting them both sick simply from shuttling from one to the other. I hope and pray Cairo gets better soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi anna! discovered your blog thru another blogger i follow. a very belated congratz to you! :)

    i can imagine how hellish a sick child can be. zoe was all healthy up until a few months ago din! halos 1 month din sya sick but fortunately no hospitalization. hoping your 2 angels will be a-ok from now on :)

    ReplyDelete